SELF-DRIVE DIRECTIONS TO KAVINGA SAFARI CAMP
- From Harare, drive 296km on the main Chirundu highway to Makuti.
- There are two toll gates along this main road, each charging USD2 for passenger vehicles – please be sure to have small USD change with you.
- Be prepared for possibly encountering some police roadblocks along your journey. We suggest checking the Dear ZRP and Road Users Association Facebook pages to ensure that your vehicle is compliant.
- A recommended stopping place along the way is the butchery at Lions Den. They serve great egg & bacon and steak rolls, sell biltong, snacks, drinks and interesting wooden items such as picture frames and cutting boards, as well as providing clean ablutions.
- 16km beyond Makuti, stop in at the National Parks’ office at Marongora and fill in your Park entry permit. Advise them that you will be staying at Kavinga Safari Camp.
- You will not be required to pay any National Parks fees at Marongora. Kavinga settles all National Parks fees payments directs with Parks on their guests’ behalf.
- Please note that on your departure when handing over your Parks permit to the first Parks boom, you will not need to show them a Parks receipt.
- Persons travelling to Mana Pools must leave Marongora no later than 3.30pm.
- At the foot of the Zambezi Escarpment, 6km beyond Marongora, a gravel road turns to the right (just after the Tsetse Fly Control hut/boom). This is the first National Parks boom, commonly called Chimutsi Gate – the entrance to Mana Pools. Turn in, submit your permit for verification at the boom, fill in the register for Kavinga and continue along this dirt road.
- Please be aware that this is a very rough gravel road and due care must be taken. In some stretches it may be best to travel at only 15 or 20 km/hour.
- Continue for approx. 25km (you will pass by a large National Parks billboard and a sign to Rukomechi Tsetse Research Station) until you see our Kavinga Safari Camp sign and a turning to your right. GPS co-ordinates for this turnoff are:
16°05′34.5″ S, 29°22′7.3″ E
-16.092917, 29.368694 Decimal (for Google Maps)
- Take this right turn and follow our signs for roughly another 5km/15 minutes directly to camp. Our staff will be waiting to meet you.
- The journey generally takes about 5 hours, depending on your speed, stops and traffic.
- For those of you using a GPS – Kavinga Safari Camp co-ordinates are:
16°07′05.2″ S, 29°24′06.55″ E
-16.118111, 29.401819 Decimal (for Google Maps)
- Please call either of the following numbers if you encounter any problems or your expected arrival in camp is going to be delayed:
Leah: +263 774 455 822
Caitlin: +263 774 335 457
Siraaj: +263 773 287 928
TRAVEL SAFE AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO HAVING YOU STAY AT KAVINGA SAFARI CAMP